Welcome

Hi! Thanks for stopping by to catch up on our life. Hope you enjoy reading my tidbits as much as I enjoy sharing them...and for the rough days, thanks for listening!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Coffee Group Mornings...

Thursday is one of my favorite days. No, it isn't a day to sleep in or anything that one usually associates with a 'favorite day'...but it is Coffee Group Day. : ) I look forward to it every week.  

First, I greatly enjoy entertaining...and I like to think I'm pretty good at it.  I spend a lot of my time trying to please everyone...which is nearly impossible...but entertaining seems to fall perfectly into that genre. I can come up with a reason to entertain for almost any day. Weeknight casual dinner party? Check...and still get the kids in bed on time!  Football game? Must have an 'At Home Tailgate Party'!  Birthday? Yep, fire up the grill and let's celebrate!  There doesn't have to be a 'good reason', I can always make one up. ; ) Kinect dance off with friend? Sure, and we'll make that an appetizers and desserts game night while we're at it.  See, you can have a party for anything! And I love it. I love the cooking...mixing drinks (alchy and non)...chit-chat...it's all just plain fun. 

But I mainly love coffee...MMMmmm...so good.  It can be decaf or not. It's the warm cup of flavored fantasticness that is so important.  My dad will tell you that it's 'froo froo' coffee that I drink.  He likes his plain black from the pot...preferably unflavored Folgers or Starbucks Espresso.  I like flavored coffee. With a variety of creamers.  But as soon as you take a sip of that warm, inviting concoction, there's no turning back.  On a cold day, it warms you from the inside and what better people to share that treat with than a group of friends?!  So, on Thursdays, we meet at my house...brew our favorite cup (the hubbs got me a Keurig last year so now we can all have a different flavor if we want...and it turns out that I actually DRINK less coffee and WASTE less coffee...double bonus).  It is a casual group. Very come-as-you-are.  Some come straight from the gym...some come from running errands...whatever floats your boat. All I ask is that you don't show up before 9:30am...gives me time to get K to school and even run an errand or two (or straighten up my house or bake yummy treats)...and you'll either need to leave (or hang out at my house alone for a bit) so I can go get K from school.  Usually, though, folks start arriving around 9:45 and are heading out around lunch time.  Works out perfectly since C still naps each afternoon.  

Coffee Group is also a great way to keep my housework in check. LOL. Not that I keep my house in magazine cover condition, but I do like certain things a certain way when we are going to have company.  So, in addition to spending the morning with an amazing group of ladies (and sometimes a husband here or there...depending on work schedules, vacation and whatnot...but the boys are welcome), I get to start my weekend with a freshly straightened house. I love that. Somehow our house is always messiest on the weekends. Of course, there are 4 of us here to create dirty dishes, clothes and contribute to clutter...but that also means there are 4 of us here to clean up such things as well...never works that way, though. The house is always more cluttered on Sunday evening than any other day of the week. Especially Thursday! 

Additionally, it's a great way to indulge my desire to bake. I love baking and cooking.  The older I get, the more I love it and the stronger my desire to learn how to make more and more things.  However I do not have a desire to consume more and more calories! K barely eats enough to keep a baby bird alive...C eats in spells, but it is impossible to know in advance if tomorrow is going to be a 'hungry' day or not. If it is, I might as well just put out a perma-buffet for him and let him eat all day...if it's not then he'll eat even less than K. Annoying. And then there's the hubbs. He likes to think that he's a well-rounded eater. He's not. He has his favorites and sticks to them. And he is not a fan of sweets.  So, assuming I bake a fantastic dessert and it happens to be a day that neither K nor C are hungry...it will just sit there...staring at me. Did I mention that I am definitely a sweets-lover? Ugh! So...I can mitigate all of that by baking on Wednesday night or Thursday morning…and then passing off said baked deliciousness to everyone at Coffee Group. Now, I don't bake every week; just whenever the mood strikes me. I try to let everyone know the night before so that they can plan to snack here the following morning, though. 

Mostly, though, it is a wonderful, casual morning spent with great friends.  The group varies based on appointments, travel and various scheduling conflicts.  But regardless of who shows up, it is a relaxed morning of fellowship in a world where our lives can so quickly turn into a whirlwind of activities.  Stay-at-home moms get a couple of hours of adult chit-chat. Youngsters still at home during the day get some interaction with others…both adults and children.  C looks forward to ‘Friends Day’ as much as I look forward to Coffee Group…good thing they are the same event. ; ) LOL. So, ladies (and gents), thanks for making Thursday one of my most favorite days of the week! 

~Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment