Welcome

Hi! Thanks for stopping by to catch up on our life. Hope you enjoy reading my tidbits as much as I enjoy sharing them...and for the rough days, thanks for listening!

Friday, January 25, 2013

My Baby has 'Boy Feet'...


He’s a Mamma’s boy. There is no denying that. But, he’s not quite 3 yet so that is to be expected. I suppose I know that he will grow out of it at some point…maybe…I secretly hope not. I secretly hope that ‘I’ll Love You Forever’ is about the two of us and we will have this amazing bond forever.

He constantly reminds me that he is a ‘Big Dude’. Literally, he is not. He is short and scrawny for his age. But healthy as can be and as strong as an ox! I know that one day a growth spurt will take him from looking six months to a year younger than his age to looking two-plus years older than his age. What he means, though, is that he can do it himself. Everything. Put on his jammies, bathe himself, feed himself, dress himself, get in the car himself, figure it out himself. He wants to be big like Daddy and he acts like Daddy is the center of the universe because he is so big and strong and seems to know everything. He asks about him constantly when he is not around. He runs to him when he gets home from work…immediately asking him to play or rough house or whatever suits his mood for that day.

He climbs in Daddy’s lap to play games or read books after supper. Did I mention he loves his feet? Lil’ Man, not Daddy. He loves his feet…and his toes even more.  He constantly reminds us, saying ‘I wub my feet’. While they play, he holds his fat little feet in his chubby little hands. He may be scrawny everywhere else, but his feet and hands still remind me of a chunky little infant. He holds his feet…unaware that he is even doing so.  When the book ends, Daddy kisses his forehead and says ‘Whatcha doing?’…’I holdin’ my feet an my toes’ he says in that adorable tiny dude voice.  Daddy reaches down and holds his feet, too.  We’ve joked for almost 3 years now about how fat his feet are…they really look like hunks of summer sausages with tiny lil’ smokies attached to the ends. Shoes have been a challenge…must be lace-up so that they will be able to be loosened to go all the way around his feet.  He started walking…full-on walking…at 9 months and his feet remained round on the bottom.  Skinny little boy…fat sausage feet. But he loves his feet.
I’m sitting next to them through this exchange. Not paying too much attention, but Mamma always knows what’s going on with the family. It’s our job, right? Daddy says ‘Have you seen this, Mamma?’  So, I look up and he shows me. Lil’ Man’s feet have bones across the top…and an arch! Don’t get me wrong, they are still chubby as feet go and I know he’s not any older. Not by more than 10 seconds since the last time I glanced over at the two of them.  But in my mind he’s suddenly 12 years old with stinky boy feet, sweaty armpits and with no need for his Mamma. I like being needed by this tiny dude, but there will be time for that still…right?

They go upstairs to get ready for bed and I hear the familiar sounds of what is sure to be a messier-than-necessary shower. But most things are messier-than-necessary with Lil’ Man.  He has had a lingering cough…off and on…for the past few days. I hear him start up again. It breaks my heart. Daddy pours some medicine for him and calls down to me that they are done and ready for prayers.  We say our bedtime prayers as a family and dole out hugs and kisses…K goes to her room to check her alarm, put out clothes for school and go to sleep.  Lil’ Man comes over to me…climbs up in my lap…’Mamma, I wub you. Can I snuggie you?’…as my heart melts, I pull a blanket over him, snuggle him down into my arms and reach for his feet…I always kiss his toes good night. And they aren’t stinky…yet.  As his cough subsides and sleep sneaks in, he mumbles ‘Mamma, I am yous dude.’ Love…

~Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment