Welcome

Hi! Thanks for stopping by to catch up on our life. Hope you enjoy reading my tidbits as much as I enjoy sharing them...and for the rough days, thanks for listening!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Coffee, Pop-Tarts and my Lil' Man...


Few things make a morning better than spending it with one or both of my sweet children.  K has been so independent all her life that she never was a 'snuggler' or one to spend part of the morning in my lap while we eat breakfast and whatnot. Now, she'd sit in Daddy's lap and watch car shows all morning on Saturday...but she was Daddy's Girl from the instant she entered this world.  C, on the other hand, is a snuggler. Has been since the moment he entered this world. He didn't use to care much about who snuggled him, but as he gets older, he has begun to prefer me...a definite Mamma's Boy at this point.  But, at 2 1/2 that is acceptable.

Today I woke up with the worst headache and Little Miss Independent went on about her business getting ready for school and selecting her breakfast.  She is buying lunch today, so she needed even less help (at least on cold-lunch days, she needs/wants me to pack her lunch for her).  She didn't need anything from me until all that was left was her hair.  She has a thick, coarse mop of wavy hair and at 5 1/2 she has neither the patience or skill to fix it herself. And we have a hair rule...hair must be up and out of the face for school.  So, I went to fix her hair and that was that.

We took her to school and then came back home to enjoy our quiet morning routine.  Just me and Lil' Man. Most days he begins with a bucket of cars and does his own thing while I get a cup of coffee (usually my second of the day).  But today as I got my coffee (first cup of the day since I was barely functioning enough to make a ponytail for K, much less fix my coffee and drink it when I first got up), he came in and asked for 'Pop-Arts' (Pop-Tarts)...I told him yes and he went to pick which flavor he wanted this morning.  Now, in general, I do not believe Pop-Tarts to be healthy...but if you knew the rest of the diet preferences of my two kids, you'd understand why I don't care much if that is what they choose for breakfast.  They prefer apples, carrots, grapes, broccoli and anything that can go in a salad far more than they do cookies, cakes, candies or any other sort of processed or pre-packaged foods.  I believe that, in moderation, it's okay to splurge on some things as long as you are balancing it with fresh, healthy choices as well.  So, 'Pop-Arts' it is. : )

Then, now this is the best part, he says 'Mamma, let's snuggle and eat Pop-Arts together'...AWWWW! Yes, Lil' Man, I will snuggle with you and eat Pop-Tarts!!! So, we spent the next hour...just the two of us...snuggled on the couch eating Pop-Tarts and drinking coffee/milk (respectively).  No TV, no games, no computer, no phone....just me and my baby that is growing up too fast. Sure, I could have switched the laundry, unloaded the dishwasher or sorted the mail from yesterday...but those are still there waiting for me...and he has now moved on to reading book, playing number games and Bad Piggies on his Kindle. That moment is gone but the rest remains. So took the opportunity to share that moment with him and I'll get to the rest later...

~Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment